Sage Department of Athletics’ Sportsmanship Mission Statement
The Sage Colleges believes that intercollegiate athletics encourages character development of participants while enhancing our educational mission. Therefore, administrators, student-athletes, coaches, spectators, and all others associated with The Sage Colleges department of athletics’ events should adhere to the fundamental values of respect, fairness, honesty, and responsibility.
Sage Department of Athletics’ Sportsmanship Policy and Fan Code of Conduct (FCOC)
The Sage Colleges department of athletics is committed to creating a safe, comfortable and enjoyable game day experience. Participants and spectators are expected to comply with all of the rules which govern the game, match, or activity. Compliance with the rules and good sportsmanship provide a more enjoyable experience for everyone and enhance the spirit of the competition. The Sage Colleges department of athletics views participation in intercollegiate athletics and attendance at campus athletics’ events as privileges that can and will be revoked when such action is deemed appropriate.
By attending a contest hosted by The Sage Colleges Department of Athletics, participants and spectators agree to abide by the letter and spirit of the Sage Sportsmanship and Fan Code of Conduct policies. As part of those policies, Sage pledges to protect a fan’s right to:
- View the event in a safe, clean and healthy environment.
- Be treated in a courteous, consistent and professional manner.
- Be treated with dignity and respect by other spectators attending the game and those organizing the event.
- Support his or her team, provided the support is in good sportsmanship and does not adversely impact the event experience of fellow spectators or negatively impact the game.
- Enjoy the game experience free from fighting, thrown objects, attempts to enter the playing field, political or inciting messages, and disorderly behavior, including foul, sexist, racial, obscene or abusive language or gestures.
- Expect displays of good sportsmanship.
The Fan Code of Conduct establishes expectations for fan behavior and consequences for inappropriate conduct. Sage students found in violation may be referred to the Sage Student Conduct system for adjudication. Below are actions or activities that will not be tolerated at Sage sponsored athletic events:
- The use of abusive or insulting language which provokes ill will, taunts, or which provoke an opponent, spectator or official will result in a warning from the game administrator. If later during that game the same spectator commits another offense they will be asked to leave the premises (i.e. any venue the event is taking place in/on). If in a later athletic event this spectator commits a similar offense they will be immediately removed from the contest and asked to leave the premises for the rest of the season/post-season.
- Physically threatening, pushing or fighting with an opponent, spectator or official will result in immediate removal from the contest and may result in additional sanctions governed by the student code of conduct. This includes physically striking, kicking, or attempting to do so.
- Failing to follow instructions of the game administrator, athletic staff members, officials or public safety officers.
- Interference with the progress of the game (including entering the field of play or throwing objects onto the court).
- Demonstrating signs of impairment from alcohol or other substances.
- Behavior that is reckless, dangerous, disruptive, or illegal in nature.
- Any abuse of the facilities or equipment. This includes public indecency or obscenity and urination in public.