Annandale-On-Hudson, NY--- The Sage Colleges' women's tennis team was in action on Sunday facing Bard College in a non-conference match with the Raptors. After winning four straight matches, Sage dropped a 6-3 decision to Bard and is now 7-6 overall. Bard is also 7-6 on the year.
The Raptors took all three doubles matches and brought a 3-0 lead into the singles matches. For the Gators, rookie Sammantha Montague (Glenville, NY/Glenville-Scotia) posted a win in three sets over her opponent, Lily Schwartz, 6-4, 4-6, 6-3. Sage was also victorious at No. 3 singles as junior Shanessa Mendoza (North Plainfield, NJ/North Plainfield) beat Harriette Slagle, 6-3, 6-1. Graduate player, Melissa Estremera (Millbrook, NY/Millbrook) needed a third set tiebreaker, but came away with a win at No. 2 singles and is now 8-4 on the year in singles play. Shanessa Mendoza owns an 8-5 mark in singles action this year as well, while Montague is now 8-4 at No. 1 singles.
Seeded fourth in the upcoming Skyline Conference Women's Tennis Championship, Sage is back in action on Friday, October 28 travelling to top seeded Farmingdale State College for a 4 p.m. match-up in the semifinals.
Sage Women's Tennis vs Bard College
Oct 23, 2016 at Annandale-on-Hudson, N.Y.
Bard College 6, Sage Women's Tennis 3
1. Montague, Sammantha (SAGEW) def. Lily Schwartz (BARD-W) 6-4, 4-6, 6-3
2. Estremera, Melissa (SAGEW) def. Amelia Tiemann (BARD-W) 3-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-4)
3. Mendoza, Shanessa (SAGEW) def. Harriette Slagle (BARD-W) 6-3, 6-1
4. Bella Martinez (BARD-W) def. Clobridge, Abbey (SAGEW) 6-2, 6-0
5. MacKenzie Wardell (BARD-W) def. Schultz, Emily (SAGEW) 6-3, 6-4
6. Lily Zacharias (BARD-W) def. Mendoza, Shanice (SAGEW) 6-4, 5-7, 10-7
1. Lily Schwartz/Harriette Slagle (BARD-W) def. Montague, Sammantha/Clobridge, Abbey (SAGEW) 9-8 (7-2)
2. Amelia Tiemann/MacKenzie Wardell (BARD-W) def. Estremera, Melissa/Mendoza, Shanessa (SAGEW) 9-8 (8-6)
3. Bella Martinez/Isabelle Scarborough (BARD-W) def. Schultz, Emily/Mendoza, Shanice (SAGEW) 8-6
Sage Women's Tennis 7-6
Bard College 7-6