Troy, NY—The Sage College's hosted the Trailblazers of Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts on Wednesday at Prospect Park. The Gators collected a 6-3 win for the team's first victory of the season. MCLA drops to 0-7, while Sage improves to 1-9.
The victory for the Gators snaps a 38-match losing streak that dated back to April 9, 2010. The contest was also the first victory for head coach Bruce Perry at the helm of the young Gator program.
Junior Gerard Beaudin (Delmar, NY/Home Schooled) picked up a win at No. 3 singles over MCLA's sophomore Mitchell Mabardy (Hubbartdston, MA/Quabbin Regional), 6-4, 6-4. The victory was the third of the season for Beaudin and established a new mark for most singles victories in a season. Beaudin also teamed No. 2 doubles with sophomore Cory Alvarado (Shokan, NY/Onteora) for an 8-3 win over Mabardy and freshman Andrea Binder (Little Falls, NJ).
Sean Alvarado was a 6-3, 6-2 winner at No. 5 singles as he beat Matt Losavio.
Sophomore Rick Butt (Ballston Spa, NY/Bellport) collected his second singles win of the season as he was victorious at No. 6 singles, beating Binder, 6-3, 6-1.
The Gators return to action on April 18 hosting Green Mountain College in 4:30 p.m. non-conference match that will be held at Prospect Park (Troy, NY).
Tennis Match Results
MCLA vs The Sage Colleges
Apr 17, 2013 at Troy, NY
The Sage Colleges 6, MCLA 3
1. Dan Nesti (MCLA) def. Hansen, Rob (SAGEMEN) 6-2, 6-4
2. Taylor Krowitz (MCLA) def. Hilton, Mike (SAGEMEN) 6-2, 6-7 (7-5), 10-4
3. Beaudin, Gerard (SAGEMEN) def. Mitchell Mabardy (MCLA) 6-4, 6-4
4. Alvarado, Cory (SAGEMEN) def. Ray Yelle (MCLA) 6-0, 6-1
5. Alvarado, Sean (SAGEMEN) def. Matt Losavio (MCLA) 6-3, 6-2
6. Butt, Rick (SAGEMEN) def. Andrea Binder (MCLA) 6-3, 6-1
1. Dan Nesti/Taylor Krowitz (MCLA) def. Hilton, Mike/Alvarado, Cory (SAGEMEN) 8-0
2. Alvarado, Sean/Beaudin, Gerard (SAGE) def. Mitchell Mabardy/Andrea Binder (MCLA) 8-3
3. Kenealy, Joe/Castillo, Mark (SAGEMEN) def. Matt Losavio/Ray Yelle (MCLA) 8-2
Match Notes: MCLA 0-7 The Sage Colleges 1-9