Alfred, NY- The Sage Colleges' men's tennis team traveled to Alfred University for their final match of the 2018 season. The host Saxons collected the 8-1 victory to improve to 3-10 overall and 3-5 in the league. Sage wraps the season at 1-11 overall and 1-7 in the Empire 8.
Sage's lone win came at no. five singles as rookie Mike Basile (Feeding Hills, MA/Agawam) defeated Reeder Bruffey, 6-1, 6-2. The victory puts Basile at 2-4 on the year in singles play.
Satirday's match marked the conclusion of the careers of two seniors for the Gators, Casey Fitzpatrick (Haverhill, MA/Haverhill) and Zaheer Ahmad (Queens, NY/Academy of Innovative Technology). In his time with the Gators, Fitzpatrick collected five career singles wins, the second most of any Sage men's tennis player. He 3-7 this spring after joining the team in mid-April after excelling on the volleyball court for Sage's men's volleyball team. Ahmad, a first-year performer in tennis, added two doubles wins this season.
Tennis Match Results
The Sage Colleges vs Alfred University
04/28/18 at Alfred
Alfred University 8, The Sage Colleges 1
1. Kevin Volz (AU1718) def. Casey Fitzpatrick (SAGEMEN) 6-1, 6-1
2. Mike Wisniewski (AU1718) def. Dan Mackey (SAGEMEN) 6-1, 6-3
3. Ryan Brown (AU1718) def. Zaheer Ahmad (SAGEMEN) 6-0, 6-1
4. John Papin (AU1718) def. Mitesh Joshi (SAGEMEN) 7-5, 6-2
5. Mike Basile (SAGEMEN) def. Reeder Bruffey (AU1718) 6-1, 6-2
6. Adam Shearer (AU1718) def. Sebastian Vickers (SAGEMEN) 7-5, 6-2
Match Notes: The Sage Colleges 1-11, 1-7 Empire 8 Alfred University 3-10, 3-5 Empire 8 T-2:50 A-10